Last updated by Nick S. on 16/03/2022

Chemicals license requirements

26/4/2024: The DJI Agras T50 was just announced for the Australian market. See details here.
26/4/2024: To see the T50 bundles and pricing, go here.

You should consider what chemicals licences you may need when doing drone spraying. These licences are nothing to do with CASA and requirements vary for each state.

Chemicals licences required in NSW

For example in NSW it is the NSW Environment Protection Authority - you’ll need to apply for a RPA applicator pilot licence, which involves doing 2 training units:

AHCCHM307 prepare and apply chemicals to control pest, weeds and diseases. (previously called AHCCHM303).

And AHCCHM304 Transport and store chemicals.


Note if you spray normally from tractors etc you likely have already have done these tickets (AHCCHM307 or AHCCHM303 and AHCCHM304). They will be e.g. on your Chemcert card. Just make sure it less than 5 years since it was updated.

You’ll also need a RPA applicator business licence, or be employed by a person holding one . Again, if you have been spraying for a long time from tractors etc you will probably just need to fill out the form for this (not actually have to do a training course).

Also $415.0

When ready, apply for the NSW licences here:

Note that a pilot is not allowed to discharge pesticide from an aircraft within 150 metres of a dwelling, school, factory or any other public place without the prior written permission of the occupier of the premises.

Roads, travelling stock reserves and State Rail land are excluded from the definition of public places.

The owner of the land on which the pesticide will aerially be applied must get the written permission of the occupier of the dwelling, school, factory or other public place that is within 150 metres of the application area.

EPA details:

List of regional EPA office locations around NSW

02 9995 5959 – ask for the RPA (drone) licencing team.

[email protected]

For full details please refer to and

Chemicals licences required in VIC


You need 2 things: an RPA AAOL, and an RPA PCRL:

RPA AAOL: Remotely Piloted Aircraft (drone), Agricultural Aircraft Operator Licence


You need this if you provide aerial spraying services from an RPA, or employ pilots to carry out aerial agricultural spraying from RPA, or in any other case operate (own, lease, borrow) RPA that carry out aerial spraying.

The RPA AAOL application fee as at 1 July 2021 is $841.65 and the licence is valid for three years.

Download the form here.


RPA PCRL: Remotely Piloted Aircraft (drone), Pilot Chemical Rating Licence


PCRL for remotely piloted aircraft

Any person who pilots an RPA (drone) to carry out aerial spraying in Victoria must hold a Pilot (Chemical Rating) Licence (PCRL) issued under the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992, which specifically authorises aerial spraying from a RPA.


The RPA PCRL application fee as at 1 July 2021 is $338.15 and the licence is valid for three years.

Download the form here.


For full details please contact Agriculture Victoria on 136 186.

<< Back to Articles